作夢者班/做夢者班 II

本論壇自 2009 起分享南開諾布仁波切之教法,目前歸屬於象雄文化。Email: dreamworkforum@gmail.com

卡斯塔尼達《做夢的藝術》重新翻譯:第三章做夢第二關

Being-in-Dreaming、The Wheel of Time、The Art of Dreaming 等書札記、摘譯與翻譯;個人夢修心得整理。

卡斯塔尼達《做夢的藝術》重新翻譯:第三章做夢第二關

文章SW » 2012-03-13, 14:00

3 THE SECOND GATE OF DREAMING

I found out by means of my dreaming practices that a dreaming teacher must create a didactic synthesis in order to emphasize a given point. In essence, what don Juan wanted I with my first task was to exercise my dreaming attention by focusing it on the items of my dreams. To this effect he used as a spearhead the idea of being aware of falling asleep. His subterfuge was to say that the only way to be aware of falling asleep is to examine the elements of one's dreams.

3 做夢的第二道關口

我從我的做夢練習中發現,一位做夢老師必須創造一套綜合教法才能强調出既定要點。實質上,唐望要我做的第一個任務,就是以專注於我夢中的項目來鍛鍊做夢注意力。爲達到這個效果,他用覺察入睡的想法做爲前行。他的託辭是說,唯一能覺察入睡的方法就是去檢視吾人夢的元素。

I realized, almost as soon as I had begun my dreaming practices, that exercising the dreaming attention is the essential point in dreaming. To the mind, however, it seems impossible that one can train oneself to be aware at the level of dreams. Don Juan said that the active element of such training is persistence, and that the mind and all its rational defenses cannot cope with persistence. Sooner or later, he said, the mind's barriers fall, under its impact, and the dreaming attention blooms.

我瞭解到,幾乎只要我一展開我的做夢練習,鍛鍊做夢注意力馬上成為做夢的核心要點。對心智而言,吾人似乎不可能訓練自己在夢的層次變得覺察。唐望說如此訓練的積極因素就是堅持,心智與其理性防禦應付不了堅持,遲早,他說,心智的屏障在其衝擊下坍塌,做夢注意力便如花盛開。

As I practiced focusing and holding my dreaming attention on the items of my dreams, I began to feel a peculiar self-confidence so remarkable that I sought a comment from don Juan.
"It's your entering into the second attention that gives you that sense of self-assurance," he said. "This calls for even more sobriety on your part. Go slowly, but don't stop, and above all, don't talk about it. Just do it!"

當我練習集中並維持我的做夢注意力於我夢中項目時,我開始感覺到一種奇特的信心,特殊到我必須尋求唐望的意見。
「那是你進入第二注意力所帶給你的自信感,」他說,「它需要你這方更多的清明(sobriety)。慢慢來,但不要停下來,最重要的是,不要談論它,只要去做就是!」

I told him that in practice I had corroborated what he had already told me, that if one takes short glances at everything in a dream, the images do not dissolve. I commented that the difficult part is to break the initial barrier that prevents us from bringing dreams to our conscious attention. I asked don Juan to give me his opinion on this matter, for I earnestly believed that this barrier is a psychological one created by our socialization, which puts a premium on disregarding dreams.

我告訴他,在練習中我已經證實了他所告訴我的,如果短暫瞥視夢裡一切事物,影像就不會消失。我評論說,困難的部分是打破最初的屏障,其妨礙我們將夢帶入我們有意識的注意力。我要求唐望給予我這方面的意見,因為我深切相信這個屏障,是由我們的社會化——助長漠視夢的風氣——所造成的心理障礙。

"The barrier is more than socialization," he replied. "It's the first gate of dreaming. Now that you've overcome it, it seems stupid to you that we can't stop at will and pay attention to the items of our dreams. That's a false certainty. The first gate of dreaming has to do with the flow of energy in the universe. It's a natural obstacle."

「這屏障要多過於社會化,」他回答道,「它是做夢的第一道關口。現在你已經克服它了,對你而言,我們不能停下來任意注視我們夢中事物,這件事似乎很愚蠢。那是一種虛假的確信。做夢的第一關跟宇宙的能量流動有關,它是一個天然的障礙。」

(2011/10/02 增補)
SW
系統管理員

文章: 4323
註冊時間: 2012-03-05, 16:23
來自: 台灣台北

卡斯塔尼達《做夢的藝術》校譯版 (3)-2

文章SW » 2012-03-13, 14:00

Don Juan made me agree then that we would talk about dreaming only in the second attention and as he saw fit. He encouraged me to practice in the meantime and promised no interference on his part.
As I gained proficiency in setting up dreaming, I repeatedly experienced sensations that I deemed of great importance, such as the feeling that I was rolling into a ditch just as I was falling asleep. Don Juan never told me that they were nonsensical sensations but let me record them in my notes. I realize now how absurd I must have appeared to him. Today, if I were teaching dreaming, I would definitely discourage such a behavior. Don Juan merely made fun of me, calling me a covert egomaniac who professed to be fighting self-importance yet kept a meticulous, superpersonal diary called "My Dreams."

唐望使我同意以後我們只在第二注意力下談論做夢,而且是當他認為合適的時候。他鼓勵我在此期間的練習,並保證他不會干涉。
當我獲得設定夢的能力時,我一再體驗到一些我視為重要的覺受,譬如當我剛睡著時我有正滾進一條溝的感覺。唐望從來沒有告訴我這些是無意義的覺受,而是讓我把它們都記在我的筆記中。我現在明瞭,想必在他看來我有多荒謬。今天,如果我要教做夢,我絕對不鼓勵這種行為。唐望只會取笑我,稱我是一個偷偷摸摸的自大狂,假裝在對抗自我重要感,卻保有一本鉅細靡遺、超級個人的日記,叫做「我的夢」。

Every time he had an opportunity, don Juan pointed out that the energy needed to release our dreaming attention from its socialization prison comes from redeploying our existing energy. Nothing could have been truer. The emergence of our dreaming attention is a direct corollary of revamping our lives. Since we have, as don Juan said, no way to plug into any external source for a boost of energy, we must redeploy our existing energy, by any means available.

每次一有機會唐望就會指出,要將我們做夢注意力從其社會化的牢籠中釋放所需的能量,來自重新分配我們既有的能量。沒有什麼比這更真實的了。做夢注意力的出現,是我們重新改造生活後一個直接的必然結果。既然我們——如唐望所說——無法插上任何外部來源而得到能量的提升,我們必須不擇手段地重新分配我們的既有能量。

Don Juan insisted that the sorcerers' way is the best means to oil, so to speak, the wheels of energy redeployment, and that of all the items in the sorcerers' way, the most effective is "losing self-importance." He was thoroughly convinced that this is indispensable for everything sorcerers do, and for this reason he put an enormous emphasis on guiding all his students to fulfill this requirement. He was of the opinion that self-importance is not only the sorcerers' supreme enemy but the nemesis of mankind.

唐望堅持認為,巫士行徑(the sorcerers' way)好比是給能量重新分配的輪子上油最好的方式,而在巫士行徑所有的項目中,最有效的就是「失去自我重要感」(losing self-importance)。他完全相信這是巫士所做的所有事情當中不可或缺的,基於此故他極為強調引導他所有的學生達到這個要求。他認為自我重要感不僅是巫士最大的敵人,也是所有人類的敵人。

Don Juan's argument was that most of our energy goes into upholding our importance. This is most obvious in our endless worry about the presentation of the self, about whether or not we are admired or liked or acknowledged. He reasoned that if we were capable of losing some of that importance, two extraordinary things would happen to us. One, we would free our energy from trying to maintain the illusory idea of our grandeur; and, two, we would provide ourselves with enough energy to enter into the second attention to catch a glimpse of the actual grandeur of the universe.

唐望的論點在於我們的能量大部分用在維持我們的重要感,最明顯的就是我們永無止盡地擔憂自我的表現、是否受人讚賞或喜愛或認同。他推論說,如果我們能失去一些那個重要感,有兩件驚人的事會發生在我們身上:第一,我們會將我們的能量,從試圖維持我們的偉大這個妄想中釋放出來;第二,我們會提供我們自身足夠的能量進入第二注意力,以瞥見宇宙真正的偉大。
SW
系統管理員

「我的夢」

文章SW » 2012-03-13, 14:01

圖檔
「我的夢」:自 2005/07/18 開始記錄迄今的夢筆記

卡氏說他如果教人做夢,絕不鼓勵抄筆記;我正好相反,我建議對一般人而言,要起步,還是從記夢開始做起。但形式不一定需要是紙張的,只是我使用錄音筆,時過兩個月之後才能整理到,重要的打字起來,不重要的稍微抄下並加以註記,例如插播、抽象、視像或清明、半清明,方便月結的時候分項統計。

這不是什麼自大狂或超級自我(super ego),當你一個月有兩百個夢,重要性就被分散掉了;當你難得記得一個清晰的夢,反而才死抱著不放,老想問它什麼意義。做夢的意義在於,你到底能記得多清楚?你的觀察力能到什麼程度?

比起偉大的明性所顯現的夢,南開師的經驗往往是早晨醒來拿個筆記本來記,一直寫到中午筆記本最後一頁,當然他是重要的夢,或者教法,但我們沒有這種記夢的能耐,教法在你面前晃你也記不得一個完整句。

有個明星在教授記憶補習班,廣告詞是記憶、記憶、記憶;對於我們的經驗,我們有記憶所以活過,如果你有夢時記憶同時還有醒時記憶,那你的意識就是二十四小時的,如果不是,那你是活白天的,晚上是死的。大圓滿的修行必須日以繼夜,你如果只活醒時、睡覺是死的,那做夢者無疑是一般人經驗的兩倍。
SW
系統管理員

卡斯塔尼達《做夢的藝術》校譯版 (3)-3

文章SW » 2012-03-13, 14:02

It took me more than two years to be able to focus my unwavering dreaming attention on anything I wanted. And I became so proficient that I felt as if I had been doing it all my life. The eeriest part was that I could not conceive of not having had that ability. Yet I could remember how difficult it had been even to think of this as a possibility. It occurred to me that the capability of examining the contents of one's dreams must be the product of a natural configuration of our being, similar perhaps to our capability of walking. We are physically conditioned to walk only in one manner, bipedally, yet it takes a monumental effort for us to learn to walk.

我花了兩年多才能夠集中我穩定的做夢注意力於任何我要的東西上。我變得如此熟練,以致於我覺得好像一輩子都在這麼做。最怪異的部分是,我無法想像不具這能力的時候,然而我還記得當初思及這種可能性是有多麼困難。我突然想到,檢視我們夢境內容的能力一定是我們本俱之自然結構的產物,也許類似我們行走的能力。我們身體被制約成只能以一種方式行走——以雙腳行走,而我們卻要耗費大量的努力才學會走路。

This new capacity of looking in glances at the items of my dreams was coupled with a most insistent nagging to remind myself to look at the elements of my dreams. I knew about my compulsive bent of character, but in my dreams my compulsiveness was vastly augmented. It became so noticeable that not only did I resent hearing my nagging at myself but I also began to question whether it was really my compulsiveness or something else. I even thought I was losing my mind.

以瞥視來看我夢中事項的新能力,伴隨著的是最為堅持的嘮叨,提醒我自己去注視我夢中的成分。我知道我性格的偏執傾向,但在我夢裡我的偏執被大大增強,它變得如此明顯,我不僅討厭聽到我對自己的嘮叨,還開始懷疑這是否真的是我的偏執或別的原因,我甚至以為我快要瘋了。

"I talk to myself endlessly in my dreams, reminding myself to look at things," I said to don Juan.
I had all along respected our agreement that we would talk about dreaming only when he brought up the subject. However, I thought that this was an emergency.
"Does it sound to you like it's not you but someone else?" he asked.
"Come to think of it, yes. I don't sound like myself at those times."
"Then it's not you. It's not time yet to explain it. But let's say that we are not alone in this world. Let's say that there are other worlds available to dreamers, total worlds. From those other total worlds, energetic entities sometimes come to us. The next time you hear yourself nagging at yourself in your dreams, get really angry and yell a command. Say, Stop it!"

「我不斷地在我夢中自言自語,提醒自己注視東西。」我跟唐望說。
我一向遵重我們的協議,那就是只有當他提起這主題時才談論做夢。不管怎樣,我認為這是緊急情況。
「它聽起來不像是你的聲音而是其他人的?」他問道。
「現在想起來,沒錯,在這幾次它聽起來不像我自己。」
「那麼它就不是你。還不到解釋的時候,但這樣講吧,我們在這世界上並不孤單,或者說有其他世界而那是做夢者可以觸及的:眾多的完整世界。從其他這些完整世界,有些能量實體有時會來到我們這裡。下次夢裡你聽見自己對你自己嘮叨時,真的火大然後大聲吆喝說:住嘴!」

I entered into another challenging arena to remember in my dreams to shout that command. I believe that, perhaps, out of being so tremendously annoyed at hearing myself nagging, I did remember to shout, Stop it. The nagging ceased instantly it never again was repeated.
"Does every dreamer experience this?" I asked don Juan in I saw him again.
"Some do," he answered, uninterestedly.
I began to rant about how strange it had all been. He cut me off, saying, "You are ready now to get to the second gate of dreaming."

我進入到另一個挑戰的圍場,那就是記得在夢中喊出那個命令。我相信,也許因為對自己嘮叨極度厭煩,我真的記得喊出來,那嘮叨馬上就停止了,它從此沒再出現。
「每個做夢者都會經歷這個嗎?」我再見到唐望又問他。
「有些會。」他不感興趣地回答。
我開始嚷嚷說這一切是多麼奇怪啊,他打斷我的話,說:「你現在已經準備好要到做夢的第二道關口了。」

I seized the opportunity to seek answers for questions I had not been able to ask him. What I had experienced the first time he made me dream had been foremost in my mind. I told don Juan that I had observed the elements of my own dreams to my heart's content, and never had I felt anything even vaguely similar in terms of clarity and detail.

我抓住機會想得到問題的解答,我一直沒能問他。第一次他讓我做夢所經驗的在我心中一直是最重要的,我告訴唐望,我已盡情觀察了我自己夢中的元素,而任何一樣在清晰和精細度就算模糊的類似也談不上。
SW
系統管理員

卡斯塔尼達《做夢的藝術》校譯版 (3)-4

"You have a proclivity for behaving like the sorcerers of antiquity. The moment you have the chance, you let your assemblage point go. That time your assemblage point shifted quite a distance. The result was that you, like the old sorcerers, journeyed beyond the world we know. A most real but dangerous journey."
I bypassed the meaning of his statements in favor of my own I interest and asked him, "Was that city perhaps on another planet?"
"You can't explain dreaming by way of things you know or suspect you know," he said. "All I can tell you is that the city you visited was not in this world."
"Where was it, then?"
"Out of this world, of course. You're not that stupid. That was the first thing you noticed. What got you going in circles is that you can't imagine anything being out of this world."
"Where is out of this world, don Juan?"

「你有一種像古代巫士行為的傾向。你有機會的那一刻,你就會放任你的聚合點。那一次你的聚合點移動了相當的距離,結果你就像古代的巫士,旅行超過了我們所知的世界。那是一個最真實但最危險的旅程。」
我跳過他這段話的含意,只顧我自己的興趣並問他:「那個城市會不會在另一個星球上?」
「你不能用你所知的事物法則或你所知的猜測來解釋做夢,」他說,「我只能告訴你,你造訪的那城市不在這世界上。」
「那麼它在哪裡?」
「在這世界之外,當然。你沒那麼笨,那是你注意到的第一件事。會一直讓你繞圈子的是,你無法想像這世界之外的任何事物。」
「這世界之外是在哪裡呢,唐望?」

"Believe me, the most extravagant feature of sorcery is that configuration called out of this world. For instance, you assumed that I was seeing the same things you did. The proof is that you never asked me what I saw. You and only you saw a city and people in that city. I didn't see anything of the sort. I saw energy. So, out of this world was, for you alone, on that occasion, a city."
"But then, don Juan, it wasn't a real city. It existed only for me, in my mind."
"No. That's not the case. Now you want to reduce something transcendental to something mundane. You can't do that. That journey was real. You saw it as a city. I saw it as energy. Neither of us is right or wrong."

「相信我,巫術中最誇張的特性,便是那個稱為世界之外的結構。例如,你確定我看到與你相同的事物,證據就是你從未問我看到什麼。是你也只有你看到一個城市和城裡的人們。我沒有看到任何這類的東西,我看見能量。所以,在這世界之外——只對你一個人而言,在那個情況下——是一個城市。」
「但是,唐望,那便不是真實的城市,它只是為我而存在,存在於我的心智中。」
「不,不是那樣。現在你想把某種超驗的降格成世俗的東西,你不能這樣做。那趟旅行是真的,你把它看成一個城市,我把它看見成能量,我們兩個都沒有誰對或錯。」

"My confusion comes when you talk about things being real. You said before that we reached a real place. But if it was real, how can we have two versions of it?"
"Very simple. We have two versions because we had, at that time, two different rates of uniformity and cohesion. I have explained to you that those two attributes are the key to perceiving."
"Do you think that I can go back to that particular city?"
"You got me there. I don't know. Or perhaps I do know but can't explain it. Or perhaps I can explain it but I don't want to. You'll have to wait and figure out for yourself which is the case."
He refused any further discussion.

「我的困惑是當你談到事情是真的。你之前說我們到達了一個真實的地方。但如果那是真實的,為何我們對它會有兩種版本呢?」
「很簡單,我們有兩種版本,因為在那時,我們有兩種不同程度的一致性與凝聚力。我跟你解釋過這兩種屬性是感知的關鍵。」
「你想我能回到那特定的城市嗎?」
「你難倒我了,我不知道。也許我知道但無法解釋,也許我能解釋,但不想解釋。這種情況你必須等待,自己去弄清楚。」
他拒絕再進一步的討論。

"Let's get on with our business," he said. "You reach the second gate of dreaming when you wake up from a dream into another dream. You can have as many dreams as you want or as many as you are capable of, but you must exercise adequate control and not wake up in the world we know."
I had a jolt of panic. "Are you saying that I should never wake up in this world?" I asked.
"No, I didn't mean that. But now that you have pointed it, I have to tell you that it is an alternative. The sorcerers of antiquity used to do that, never wake up in the world we know. Some of the sorcerers of my line have done it too. It certainly be done, but I don't recommend it. What I want is for you to wake up naturally when you are through with dreaming, but while you are dreaming, I want you to dream that you wake up in another dream."

「讓我們回到我們的事情上來,」他說,「當你從一個夢醒來而進入另一個夢,你就達到了做夢的第二關。你想要幾個夢或能有幾個夢,就可以有幾個夢,但你必須練習適度控制,而不會在我們所知的世界醒來。」
我感到一陣驚慌,「你是說我永遠不應在這個世界醒來嗎?」我問道。
「不,我不是這個意思。但既然你現在提及,我必須告訴你那是一種選擇。古代的巫士習慣這樣做,永不在我們所知的世界裡醒來。有些我傳承的巫士也這麼做,這當然可以辦到,但我不建議這樣。我要你做的是,當你做夢完時自然地醒來,但當你在做夢時,我要你夢到你在另個夢裡醒來。」

I heard myself asking the same question I had asked the first I time he told me about setting up dreaming. "But is it possible I to do that?"
Don Juan obviously caught on to my mindlessness and laughingly repeated the answer he had given me before. "Of course it's possible. This control is no different from the control I we have over any situation in our daily lives."
I quickly got over my embarrassment and was ready to ask more questions, but don Juan anticipated me and began to explain facets of the second gate of dreaming, an explanation that made me yet more uneasy.

我聽到我自己問起他第一次告訴我有關設定夢時同樣的問題,「但這有可能這樣做嗎?」
唐望顯然逮到我的心不在焉,笑著重複之前所給我的同樣回答:「當然這是可能的。這種控制跟我們對日常生活中任何情况的控制沒有什麼不同。」
我很快克服了我的尷尬,並準備要問更多問題,但唐望先我一步,開始解釋做夢第二關的細節,然而這解釋卻使我更加不安。
SW
系統管理員

卡斯塔尼達《做夢的藝術》校譯版 (3)-5

"There's one problem with the second gate," he said. "It's a problem that can be serious, depending on one's bent of character. If our tendency is to indulge in clinging to things or situations, we are in for a sock in the jaw."
"In what way, don Juan?"
"Think for a moment. You've already experienced the outlandish joy of examining your dreams' contents. Imagine yourself going from dream to dream, watching everything, examining every detail. It's very easy to realize that one may sink to mortal depths. Especially if one is given to indulging."
"Wouldn't the body or the brain naturally put a stop to it?"
"If it's a natural sleeping situation, meaning normal, yes. But this is not a normal situation. This is dreaming. A dreamer on crossing the first gate has already reached the energy body. So what is really going through the second gate, hopping from dream to dream, is the energy body."

「第二道關口有個問題,」他說,「它會是一個嚴重的問題,端賴個人的性格傾向而定。如果我們的傾向是放縱於緊抓事物或情况不放,我們就是在自找拳頭挨。」
「這是怎樣呢,唐望?」
「想一下,你已經體驗到檢視夢組成物的奇異快感,想像你自己從一個夢去到另一個夢,看著所有一切,檢視每一個細節。吾人可能會墮入致命的深淵,這很容易理解,特別是如果吾人沈溺於放縱的話。」
「難道身體或頭腦不會自然地停止它嗎?」
「如果它是一個自然睡眠的情況——意指正常情況,是可以的。但這並非是一個正常的情况,這是做夢。一個做夢者在越過第一關時,已經達到能量體,所以真正通過第二關——從一個夢跳到一個夢——的,是能量體。」

"What's the implication of all this, don Juan?"
"The implication is that on crossing the second gate you must intend a greater and more sober control over your dreaming attention the only safety valve for dreamers."
"What is this safety valve?"
"You will find out for yourself that the true goal of dreaming is to perfect the energy body. A perfect energy body, among other things of course, has such a control over the dreaming attention that it makes it stop when needed. This is the safety valve dreamers have. No matter how indulging they might be, at a given time, their dreaming attention must make them surface."

「所有這些暗示什麼,唐望?」
「它暗指在通過第二關時,你必須對於意願一個更大和更清明的控制之於你的做夢注意力——做夢者唯一的安全閥。」
「這安全閥是什麼?」
「你會自己發現,做夢的真正目標是使能量體完美。一個完美的能量體,在其他課程當中,具有如此一種對做夢注意力的控制,當必要時即讓它停止。這就是做夢者擁有的安全閥。不管他們會有多放縱,在特定時刻,他們的做夢注意力都必須迫使他們出來。」

I started all over again on another dreaming quest. This time the goal was more elusive and the difficulty even greater. Exactly as with my first task, I could not begin to figure out what to do. I had the discouraging suspicion that all my practice was not going to be of much help this time. After countless failures, I gave up and settled down to simply continue my practice of fixing my dreaming attention on every item of my dreams. Accepting my shortcomings seemed to give me a boost, and I became even more adept at sustaining the view of any item in my dreams.

我再次開始另一次的做夢探索,這一次目標更難捉摸,且困難更甚。正如我第一次的任務,我無法開始搞清楚要做什麼,我不樂觀地懷疑以前所有的練習這次都幫不上忙。經過無數次的失敗,我放棄了,只是固守在繼續練習把我的做夢注意力集中在我夢裡的每樣事物上。接受我的弱點似乎推了我一把,我變得更嫻熟於維持我夢裡任何事物的景象。

A year went by without any change. Then one day something changed. As I was watching a window in a dream, trying to find out if I could catch a glimpse of the scenery outside the room, some windlike force, which I felt as a buzzing in my ears, pulled me through the window to the outside. Just before that pull, my dreaming attention had been caught by a strange structure some distance away. It looked like a tractor. The next thing I knew, I was standing by it, examining it.

沒有任何改變地一年過去了,然後有一天事情有所變化。當我正在夢裡看著一扇窗戶,試看看我是否可以瞥見窗外的景色,某股如風般的力量,我感覺像是耳中一陣呼嘯聲,把我從窗戶拉到外頭。就在拉走之前,我的做夢注意力被某距離外一個奇怪的構造所吸引。它看起來像個牽引機,我所知道的下一件事是,我正站在它旁邊檢視它。

I was perfectly aware that I was dreaming. I looked around to find out if I could tell from what window I had been looking. The scene was that of a farm in the countryside. No buildings were in sight. I wanted to ponder this. However, the quantity of farm machinery lying around, as if abandoned, took all my attention. I examined mowing machines, tractors, grain harvesters, disk plows, thrashers. There were so many that I forgot my original dream. What I wanted then was to orient myself by watching the immediate scenery. There was something in the distance that looked like a billboard and some telephone poles around it.

我完全覺察到我正在做夢。我環顧一下想釐清我是否可以辨認是從哪扇窗戶我剛正看著的,但景色是一個鄉下的農場,看不到任何建築物。我想要思索一下,然而四周橫置為數眾多的農業機具,如同閒置,佔據我全部的注意力。我檢視耕耘機、牽引機、收割機、圓盤犁、脫穀機,多到我忘了我原先的夢,那時我想要的是藉由觀看眼前景象來自我調適。遠處有某個東西,看起來像是一個廣告牌,四周還有電話線桿。
SW
系統管理員

卡斯塔尼達《做夢的藝術》校譯版 (3)-6

文章SW » 2012-03-13, 14:03

The instant I focused my attention on that billboard, I was I next to it. The steel structure of the billboard gave me a fright. It was menacing. On the billboard itself was a picture of a building. I read the text; it was an advertisement for a motel. I had a I peculiar certainty that I was in Oregon or northern California.
I looked for other features in the environment of my dream. I saw mountains very far away and some green, round hills not too far. On those hills were clumps of what I thought were California oak trees. I wanted to be pulled by the green hills, but what pulled me were the distant mountains. I was convinced I that they were the Sierras.

我把我的注意力放在那塊廣告牌的瞬間,我便在它旁邊了。那招牌的鋼質結構嚇到我,它很具威脅感。廣告牌本身是一個建築物的照片,我讀上面的文字,是一個旅館的廣告。我有一種奇特的確信,我是在奧勒岡或北加州。
我尋找夢裡環境的其他特徵。我看到很遠處有山,以及綠色圓圓的山丘在不遠處。在這些山丘上有些我想是加州橡樹的樹叢,我想被這些綠色山丘拉過去,但卻被遠處的山拉走,我相信那是喜艾拉山。

All my dreaming energy left me on those mountains. But before it did, I was pulled by every possible feature. My dream ceased to be a dream. As far as my capacity to perceive was concerned, I was veritably in the Sierras, zooming into ravines, boulders, trees, caves. I went from scarp faces to mountain peaks until I had no more drive and could not focus my dreaming attention on anything. I felt myself losing control. Finally, there was no more scenery, just darkness.

我剩下的所有做夢能量都花在這些山上面,但在此之前,我被每一樣可能的特徵拉走。我的夢不再是個夢,只要涉及我所能感知的,我真的可以稱得上是在喜艾拉山,近至溝壑、卵石、樹木、洞穴,我從坡面上至山峰,直到我沒勁了、不能再集中我的做夢注意力於任何東西上。我覺得自己失去控制。最後,不再有任何景象而只剩黑暗。

"You have reached the second gate of dreaming," don Juan said when I narrated my dream to him. "What you should do next is to cross it. Crossing the second gate is a very serious affair; it requires a most disciplined effort."
I was not sure I had fulfilled the task he outlined for me, because I had not really woken up in another dream. I asked don Juan about this irregularity.
"The mistake was mine," he said. "I told you that one has to wake up in another dream, but what I meant is that one has to change dreams in an orderly and precise manner, the way you have done it.

「你達到了做夢的第二道關口,」當我跟他描述我的夢時,唐望說,「你接下來應該要做的是跨越它。跨越第二關是件非常嚴肅的事情,它需要最有紀律的努力。」
我不確定我是否達成他為我規畫的任務,因為我並不是真的在另一個夢裡醒來。我問唐望關於這種反常的情形。
「那是我的錯。」他說道,「我告訴你要在另一個夢裡醒來,但我的意思是指吾人必須以有條理與準確的方式來改變夢,就如同你所做的。

"With the first gate, you wasted a lot of time looking exclusively for your hands. This time, you went directly to the solution without bothering to follow the given command to wake up in another dream."
Don Juan said that there are two ways of properly crossing the second gate of dreaming. One is to wake up in another dream, that is to say, to dream that one is having a dream and then dream that one wakes up from it. The alternative is to use the items of a dream to trigger another dream, exactly as I had done.

「以第一關來說,你浪費了許多時間專門尋找你的手。這一次,你直接契入解決之道,而沒有費心於遵守被賦予的要在另個夢中醒來的指示。」
唐望說正確地跨越做夢的第二關有兩種方式:一是在在另一個夢裡醒來,也就是說,吾人正在作一個夢,然後夢到自己從中醒來;另一種替選方式是使用夢中的事項來引發另一個夢,這正是我所做的。

Just as he had been doing all along, don Juan let me practice without any interference on his part. And I corroborated the two alternatives he described. Either I dreamt that I was having a dream from which I dreamt I woke up or I zoomed from a definite item accessible to my immediate dreaming attention to another one, not quite accessible. Or I entered into a slight variation of the second: I gazed at any item of a dream, maintaining the gaze until the item changed shape and, by changing shape, pulled me into another dream through a buzzing vortex. Never was I capable, however, of deciding beforehand which of the three I would follow. My dreaming practices always ended by my running out of dreaming attention and finally waking up or by my falling into dark, deep slumber.

正像唐望一直以來的作法,他讓我在不受他那部分干涉之下練習,然後我體證了他所描述的兩種替選方式:我不是夢到我正作夢而我從那個夢醒來,就是我從我做夢注意力可及的物品拉到另個不太可及的東西上。或者我進入第二種方式的稍微變化版:我注視夢中任何物品,保持注視直到它改變形狀,然後,藉由改變形狀,穿過一陣呼嘯的旋風而把我拉進另一個夢。然而,我從來無法預先決定我要按照這三種的哪一個。我的做夢練習總是結束於做夢注意力用盡最後我醒來,或者我跌入黑暗的沉睡而終止。

Everything went smoothly in my practices. The only disturbance I had was a peculiar interference, a jolt of fear or discomfort I had begun to experience with increasing frequency. My way of discarding it was to believe that it was related to my ghastly eating habits or to the fact that, in those days, don Juan was giving me a profusion of hallucinogenic plants as part of my training. Those jolts became so prominent, however, that I had to ask don Juan's advice.

在我的練習中一切都很順利,唯一讓我不安的是一種奇特的干擾,我開始越來越常經驗到一股突發的恐懼或不適。我摒棄它的方式是相信那跟我遭透了的飲食習慣有關,或是跟那段日子唐望給我大量致幻植物做為我訓練的一部分的這件事有關。那些突發感變得如此明顯,所以無論如何我必須徵求唐望的意見。

NOTE: 做夢的第二、三關,是我最熟悉的部分,重新翻譯這部分時也可以呼應我的經驗。我發覺許多誤譯的部分都跟換景這過程有關。A buzzing vortex,原譯為穿過一陣嗡嗡耳鳴,我是沒有這種經驗啦,出體都沒有耳朵怎會有耳鳴?應該是換景時的陣風,也是我每次必遇到的。真正形成原因不明,但通常換景,從一個夢到另個夢中間都會有這種穿越的感覺。

在我們用語中,傾向於用「夢場景」取代「一個夢」,因為說夢比較像是有情節,但一處夢場景就是一個地點,我們是外來者,不涉入任何夢情節,只有所見。

另,要換景的方式,依我個人經驗,非自主性的換景,通常發生於普通夢,卡氏這時做夢能力還剛開始發展,所以是注視一樣東西被拉走而換景,是被拉走,並非自己主導換景。我作普通夢經常也是由觀看某個東西而整個進入另個夢。這是關於被近處拉走換景,或被遠處東西拉走跳景的方式。

做夢醒來的方式當然也是用盡做夢能量,不是直接能量用完醒來,就是掉入另個夢或睡著。
SW
系統管理員

卡斯塔尼達《做夢的藝術》校譯版 (3)-7

文章SW » 2012-03-13, 17:31

"You have entered now into the most dangerous facet of the sorcerers' knowledge," he began. "It is sheer dread, a veritable nightmare. I could joke with you and say that I didn't mention this possibility to you out of regard for your cherished rationality, but I can't. Every sorcerer has to face it. Here is where, I fear, you might very well think you're going off the deep end." Don Juan very solemnly explained that life and consciousness, being exclusively a matter of energy, are not solely the property of organisms.

「你現在進入了巫士知識中最危險的面向,」他開始說,「它是全然的恐懼,一個名副其實的噩夢。我可以跟你開玩笑地說,為顧及你寶貴的理性,我沒向你提過這個可能性,但我不能。每個巫士都必須面對它。這裡就是我所怕的地方,你可能非常認為你快精神崩潰了。」唐望非常嚴肅地解釋,生命與意識——完全是能量的問題——不是僅僅屬於有機生物(organism)所有。

He said that sorcerers have seen that there are two types of conscious beings roaming the earth, the organic and the inorganic, and that in comparing one with the other, they have seen that both are luminous masses crossed from every imaginable angle by millions of the universe's energy filaments. They are different from each other in their shape and in their degree of brightness. Inorganic beings are long and candlelike but opaque, whereas organic beings are round and by far the brighter. Another noteworthy difference, which don Juan said sorcerers have seen, is that the life and consciousness of organic beings is short-lived, because they are made to hurry, whereas the life of inorganic beings is infinitely longer and their consciousness infinitely more calm and deeper.

他說巫士已看見有兩種類型的意識生命體漫遊在地球上:有機生物與無機生物(inorganic),而將其一與另一個相較,兩者都是發光的量體,被無數的宇宙能量光絲從每個可以想像的角度穿過。兩者在形狀和明亮程度上互不相同,無機生物是長條形像蠟燭,但不透明;而有機生物是圓形,顯然比較明亮。唐望說巫士已看見另一個值得注意的差異是,有機生物的生命與意識活得短,因為他們生來匆忙,而無機生物的生命則無限長,他們的意識也無限地平靜和深沉。

"Sorcerers find no problem interacting with them," don Juan went on.
"Inorganic beings possess the crucial ingredient for interaction, consciousness."
"But do these inorganic beings really exist? Like you and I exist?" I asked.
"Of course they do," he replied. "Believe me, sorcerers are intelligent creatures; under no condition would they toy with aberrations of the mind and then take them for real."
"Why do you say they are alive?"
"For sorcerers, having life means having consciousness. It means having an assemblage point and its surrounding glow of awareness, a condition that points out to sorcerers that the being in front of them, organic or inorganic, is thoroughly capable of perceiving. Perceiving is understood by sorcerers as the precondition of being alive."

「巫士發現與他們互動毫無困難,」唐望繼續說道。
「無機生物具有互動的關鍵因素——意識。」
「但是這些無機生物真的存在嗎?像你和我一樣存在?」我問。
「當然他們存在。」他回答,「相信我,巫士是聰明的傢伙,他們沒機會玩弄心理異常,然後據以為真。」
「你為何說無機生物活著?」
「對巫士而言,有生命意指具有意識。這表示有一個聚合點和它周圍的知覺光輝,這是能讓巫士判斷出他們面前的這個生物能夠感知。感知是巫士認定生命的先決條件。」

"Then the inorganic beings must also die. Is that true, don Juan?"
"Naturally. They lose their awareness just like we do, except that the length of their consciousness is staggering to the mind."
"Do these inorganic beings appear to sorcerers?"
"It's very difficult to tell what is what with them. Let's say that those beings are enticed by us or, better yet, compelled to interact with us."

「那麼無機生物也一定會死,是真的嗎,唐望?」
「自然,他們也會失去意識像我們一樣,除了他們的意識對心智來說長得驚人。」
「這些無機生物會對巫士現身嗎?」
「很難說他們什麼是什麼,比如說這些生物被我們引誘出來,或者更好的是,被迫與我們互動。」

Don Juan peered at me most intently. "You're not taking in any of this at all," he said with the tone of someone who has reached a conclusion.
"It's nearly impossible for me to think about this rationally," I said.
"I warned you that the subject will tax your reason. The proper thing to do then is to suspend judgment and let things take their course, meaning that you let the inorganic beings come to you."
"Are you serious, don Juan?"
"Deadly serious. The difficulty with inorganic beings is that their awareness is very slow in comparison with ours. It will take years for a sorcerer to be acknowledged by inorganic beings. So, it is advisable to have patience and wait. Sooner or later they show up. But not like you or I would show up. Theirs is a most peculiar way to make themselves known."

唐望以最專注的目光盯著我,「你一點也沒有聽進去。」他以一種某人已達結論的口吻說。
「要我理性地去思考這個,幾乎是不可能。」我說道。
「我警告過你這方面會拖累你的理性。接下來正確的作法是暫停評斷,順其自然,這表示你讓無機生物來找你。」
「你是認真的嗎,唐望?」
「極其認真。對無機生物的困難在於,相較於我們,他們的知覺非常地慢,一個巫士要花上數年才會被無機生物認出。所以,建議要耐心等待,他們遲早會出現。但不會像你我這樣出現,他們讓自己被知悉的方式是最為奇特的了。」
SW
系統管理員

文章SW » 2013-01-19, 21:02

上篇發表於作夢者班論壇一號「2012 一月 20, 9:21 pm 文章主題: 卡斯塔尼達《做夢的藝術》校譯版 (3)-7」,至今一年整。這一年我上班時間都忙於工作,而這些翻譯多半是上班閒暇時間寫的。

當然我期勉自己能將《做夢的藝術》至少重新翻譯到第三關完,可能要忙到四月才會有時間接續下去。
SW
系統管理員

回到 夢修心得、閱讀札記及翻譯

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 11 位訪客